The first major restoration of a group of properties in King Street, at that time one of Norwich’s most important and most neglected historic thoroughfares. It was also the first time, except for the new build at St Miles Alley, that the Trust restored and then let a group of commercial units, seeing a significant contribution to the start of its present commercial portfolio. That portfolio serves two purposes, providing both income to pay for running costs, and an equity base against which to borrow on commercial terms for capital investment in future projects.
The buildings, bought from the City Council which had acquired them to prevent further dereliction, date from the 15th to the 19th Centuries, and include an impressive 15th Century undercroft, with two bays of diagonal ribs. A red-brick skin of about 1700, altered for 19th Century shop fronts, is attached to a range of 16th Century houses. Through the entry to Three Tuns Court (named after a vanished pub) is another short range of 17th Century houses.
After restoration the whole complex provided seven flats and maisonettes over four shop units. The residential units were sold on 125-year leases and the commercial units (which include the Trust’s own office at 58-60, King Street) are let. Land at the rear was sold in 2001 for development as a single dwelling plot to a design commissioned by the Trust.